Friday, June 15, 2012

Chris Matthews to Elizabeth Warren, 'Let me help you' as much as 'I, as a journalist, can help'

.
6/14/12, "Chris Matthews to Elizabeth Warren: 'Let Me Help You' as Much as 'I, as a Journalist, Can Help'," NewsBusters, Scott Whitlock

"Chris Matthews isn't even trying anymore. The liberal anchor on Wednesday went into full Democratic adviser mode. Talking to Massachusetts Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren, he turned an interview into a strategy session, saying of the campaign against Republican Scott Brown: "Let me help you on this, to the extent that I, as a journalist, can help you."

Providing an additional contribution, Matthews somehow managed to skip the controversy that's been plaguing Warren's campaign for a month and a half: The fact that she has repeatedly tried to pass herself off as a Native American. (At one point, the Democrat claimed she was 1/32 Cherokee.) While avoiding this embarrassing subject, Matthews incredulously wondered, "Why are the polls so close?...You should be miles ahead of [Brown]." [See video below. MP3 audio here.]...

This prompted Matthews to segue into giving his "help."...

Matthews urged Warren to seem like more of a regular American. He concluded by pledging to continue to work to elect the Democrat: "I agree with everything you said. I think you got to take a couple of whacks at the cultural elite once in a while, but that's just me."

"Maybe I'll do it instead of you," Matthews decided.

A partial transcript of the June 13 segment, which aired at 5:01pm EDT, follows."...

.

No comments: