10/15/08, "Soros on green as the motor of the economy," Grist, Bill Moyers transcript with Soros
- From Bill Moyers PBS transcript: You say this is the "end of an era?" Soros: "Yes." "Energy has got to cost more."
- better world order where we work together to resolve problems that confront humanity like
- global warming.
You see, for the last 25 years the world economy, the motor of the world economy that has been driving it was consumption by the American consumer who has been spending more than he has been saving, all right? Than he's been producing.
- So that motor is now switched off.
- It's finished. It's run out of -- can't continue.
- It requires big investment."...
- (Soros backs at least $9 trillion in global warming investments).
GEORGE SOROS: Instead of consuming, building an electricity grid, saving on energy, rewiring the houses, adjusting your lifestyle where
- energy has got to cost more
BILL MOYERS: You're talking about this being the end of an era and needing to create a whole new paradigm for the economic model of the country, of the world, right?
GEORGE SOROS: Yes."