Thursday, March 8, 2012

A book on Orson Bean's shelf led Andrew Breitbart to giving Rush Limbaugh another listen

.
3/6/12, "Why We Need Rush Limbaugh," The Poh Diaries

"I happen to like grunge rock, but thankfully for the rest of us, Andrew Breitbart despised it. He began listening to AM talk radio and liked the idea of being part of the conversation. He also happened at this time to be getting close with his future wife Susie. Breitbart not only loved her, but he was quite fond of her father Orson Bean.

I was attracted to Orson’s wit and depth of knowledge of everything. This guy had appeared on the Tonight Show couch seventhmost of any guest. His Opinion mattered to me.

One day I asked him why he had Rush Limbaugh’s book The Way Things Ought to Be on his shelf. I asked him, “Why would you have a book by this guy?” And Orson said, “Have you ever listened to him?” I said yes, of course, even though I never had. I was convinced to the core of my being that Rush Limbaugh was a Nazi, anti-black, anti-Jewish, and anti–all things decent. Without berating me for disagreeing with him, Orson simply suggested that I listen to him again.

Breitbart, Andrew (2011-04-15). Righteous Indignation: Excuse Me While I Save the World (p. 33). Hachette Book Group. Kindle Edition.

What followed, as you can imagine was a metamorphosis of sorts. Breitbart started listening to Rush Limbaugh to prove that Orson was wrong. To prove that his [Breitbart's] world view was right. But one hour, turned into three. One listening session turned into weeks and then months. Breitbart was astounded.

Most important, though, Limbaugh, like the professor I always wanted but never had the privilege to study under, created a vivid mental picture of the architecture of a world that I resided in but couldn’t see completely: the Democrat-Media Complex. Embedded in Limbaugh’s analysis of politics was always a tandem discussion on the media. Each segment relentlessly pointed to collusion between the media and the Democratic Party.

Breitbart, Andrew (2011-04-15). Righteous Indignation: Excuse Me While I Save the World (p. 34). Hachette Book Group. Kindle Edition.

Andrew Breitbart then writes, “And so it began.” And so it began, indeed.

The day after Andrew Breitbart left this world, Rush Limbaugh eulogized him on his radio show. He spoke highly of Breitbart and touted all of the the things that all of us loved about, and will miss about him. But what struck me the most (after the fact as it turns out) about Rush’s kind words for Breitbart, was what he didn’t say. He didn’t take credit for turning a floundering, lost, liberal young man into the conservative powerhouse that he turned out to be.

When Rush spoke about Breitbart’s “conversion”, he simply said, “something happened.” Incredibly humble. Rush has inspired, and continues to inspire greatness in countless millions. That’s why he’s under such a relentless assault right now. That’s why we need him now more than ever.

We lost someone irreplaceable in the conservative movement five days ago, we can’t afford to lose another." via Instapundit


.

No comments: