$600 million US taxpayer dollars transferred to Palestinian Authority in 2010, Fayyad says "handful of dollars"
3/3/11, "PM Fayyad criticizes US "extortion": "Our rights are not for sale," Now Public
"US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced a $150-million grant to the Palestinian Authority four months ago, raising the However, Fayyad recently referred to US foreign aid as "extortion." The official PA daily reported that:
"Fayyad attacked the US in an unprecedented manner... He emphasized his opposition to American 'extortion,'" and added that "our rights are not for sale, barter, or trade for a handful of dollars." [Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, Feb. 21, 2011]
His comments were in response to the US veto of a UN resolution on the issue of Israeli building in Jerusalem and the West Bank."...
Regarding likelihood that US tax dollars are funding terrorists, following report submitted to Congress 7/27/11, by Itamar Marcus and Nan Jacques Zilberdik, authors of the following report via their group Palestinian Media Watch:
Palestinian Authority pays $5 million a month in salaries to Palestinians jailed in Israel including terrorists who are treated like heroes. The 'salaries' are paid out of general funds with no proof that $600 million US taxpayer money isn't being used to reward terrorism:
7/28/11, "Palestinian Authority Paying Salaries to Terrorists with U.S. Money," Hudson NY, by Itamar Marcus and Nan Jacques Zilberdik
"The Palestinian Authority pays monthly salaries to 5,500 prisoners in Israeli prisons, including terrorists
- The PA honors terrorists who have killed civilians, presenting them as heroes and role models
- The PA glorifies terror attacks as heroic, including suicide bombings
- The PA funds these salaries and activities from its general budget
- US funding of the Palestinian Authority:
- The US funds the PA general budget
- US law prohibits funding of any person who "... engages in, or has engaged in, terrorist activity…"
- US law prohibits funding "for the purpose of recognizing or otherwise honoring individuals who commit, or have committed acts of terrorism."
- PA Pays Monthly Salaries to Terrorists - Essential Facts
1. New PA law enacts payment of monthly salaries to terrorists in Israeli prisons:
A law signed and published in the official Palestinian Authority Registry in April 2011 puts all Palestinians and Israeli Arabs imprisoned in Israel for terror crimes on the PA payroll to receive a monthly salary from the PA. [Official PA daily Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, April 15, 2011]
- This new law called PA Government Resolution of 2010, numbers 21 and 23, formalizes what has long been a PA practice....
Total: 17,678,247 Shekel ($5,207,000) a month, based on May 2011.
- [Life and the Market, supplement to Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, June 19, 2011]
5. Terrorists in prison receive higher average salary than PA civil servants and military personnel
Average monthly salary
[Life and the Market supplement to Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, June 19, 2011]
6. PA salary payments to prisoners is dependent on foreign funding
The new PA law stipulates that payment of salaries "will be implemented... on the basis of available sources of funding." [Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, April 15, 2011]
- Accordingly, it is the contributions by the US and other foreign donors to the PA general budget that facilitates the payment of monthly salaries to the terrorist prisoners.
- US law and US funding of the Palestinian Authority
7. US law prohibits funding terrorists and past terrorists:
CONSOLIDATED APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2010: ASSISTANCE FOR THE WEST BANK AND Gaza, SEC. 7039. (b) VETTING.—"Prior to the obligation of funds appropriated by this Act under the heading 'Economic Support Fund' for assistance for the West Bank and Gaza, the Secretary of State shall take all appropriate steps to ensure that such assistance is not provided to or through any individual, private or government entity, or educational institution that the Secretary knows or has reason to believe advocates, plans, sponsors, engages in, or has engaged in, terrorist activity…
- Measuring Palestinian Authority compliance with US anti-terror funding laws
In order to comply with US anti-terror funding laws there are clearly defined and quantifiable steps that the Palestinian Authority should implement:
1. The PA should repeal the law "PA Government resolutions, numbers 21 and 23 of 2010" which grants all terrorists in Israeli prisons a PA monthly salary
2. The PA should stop paying salaries to terrorists in Israeli prisons (as they have admitted to doing even before the law)
3. The PA should stop honoring and role modeling terrorists through naming of places and events in their honor
4. The PA should stop having PA dignitaries and ministers visit terrorists' homes and stop granting their families awards in their names
All of these steps can be implemented immediately and are easily monitored....
via John Batchelor Show