3/28/11, ""Mansfield (Ohio) school chief pulls plug on 'anti-Islamic' tea party event," Mansfield News Journal
"A Mansfield North Central Ohio Tea Party Association event featuring a speaker on radical Islam will go on at 7 p.m. today as planned, but in a different location.Usama Dakdok will speak at Premier Office Complex, 1456 Park Avenue West, Suite J. Attendees are advised to bring lawn chairs.
The group had planned to meet at its usual location at the high school until this morning, when Mansfield City Schools Superintendent Dan Freund, citing safety concerns,
- withdrew permission for the group to meet there.
In his comments, Freund said the district's decision was prompted by safety concerns and not by the presumed content of the scheduled speaker's message.
- The Mansfield Branch of NAACP followed with a press conference of their own at 11 a.m.
- superintendent's office announced a press conference for 10:30 a.m.
- Council on American-Islamic Relations,
- and other civic community leaders.
- Mansfield North Central Ohio Tea Party Association, which meets regularly at the high school, will host guest speaker Usama Dakdok.
Use of the facilities is restricted to purposes deemed “harmonious with the purposes of this District.” Raising funds for political purposes is prohibited as are private social functions or any purpose prohibited by law.
The NAACP press release states: “We must stand together as a community and realize there exists many, diverse cultures in America. We as Americans have a right to choose whatever religion we wish to follow. It is our country’s diversity which has made us a nation rich in cultural experience and our children have a right to know that whatever faith they choose to follow, that they
- will not be judged by their color or religion, but by the content of their character.”"
Update, 12/20/11, I have no confidence whatsoever that this story is true. ed.
1/29/09, "FBI Cuts Off CAIR Over Hamas Questions,"The Investigative Project on Terrorism
Comments to this story at Weasel Zippers that I liked:
"Sara B says:
Let me get this straight…NAACP and CAIR stand for diversity of all opinions and the right to join any group in the community except for the Tea Party and those who disagree with radical Islam. They should be embarrassed by the double-speak of their press release but understanding the way they operate they probably didn’t even notice.
We just lose every single freaking battle. Seriously!
Our guys ALWAYS cave in.
“they will not be judged by their color or religion, but by the content of their character.”
If their religion involves cutting off my head
- I reserve the right to judge them on that."
via Weasel Zippers