"People literally will starve to death in parts of the world,
- it always happens when food prices go up," (Mayor) Bloomberg told reporters, 2/11/08
3/16/11, "Wholesale prices spike on steep rise in food, oil," AP, via AJC
"Higher energy costs and the steepest rise in food prices in nearly four decades drove wholesale prices up last month by the most in nearly two years....
- Food prices soared 3.9 percent last month, the biggest gain since November 1974....
- on more discretionary goods....
- Ethanol cited in food price rise:
"Food costs, meanwhile, are rising. Bad weather in the past year has damaged crops in Australia, Russia, and South America.
- Demand for corn for ethanol use has also contributed to the increase.
Prices rose 1 percent for apparel, the most in 21 years. Costs also increased
- for cars, jewelry, and consumer plastics." (item at end of article)
Reference Bloomberg comment:
2/11/08, "Bloomberg slams U.S. energy law over corn ethanol" Reuters by Louis Charbonneau and Timothy Gardner
- it always happens when food prices go up," Bloomberg told reporters
after addressing a U.N. General Assembly debate on climate change....
--------From the same Reuters article, 2/11/08:
- they threatened to worsen global hunger by pushing up prices for food crops used to make ethanol."...
via Drudge Report