2/21/11, "Facts about President Obama's High-Speed Rail Project," by Rick Scott on Monday, February 21, 2011 at 1:29pm
- Following is copy of email Rick Scott sent out yesterday afternoon:
My decision to reject the project comes down to three main economic realities:
- 1. Capital cost overruns from the project could put Florida taxpayers on the hook for an additional $3 billion.
2. Ridership and revenue projections are historically overly-optimistic and would likely result in ongoing subsidies that state taxpayers would have to incur, which could cost from $300 million – $575 million over 10 years.
3. If the project becomes too costly for taxpayers and is shut down, the state would have to return the $2.4 billion in federal funds to D.C.
Let's get to work,Governor Rick Scott"
Tampa groups held an Anti High Speed Rail protest on Feb. 21 which was well attended. Here is some video.
- via Sharon Calvert in Florida