12/6/10, "Majority of Muslims want Islam in politics, poll says," LA Times, Meris Lutz
"A majority of Muslims around the world welcome a significant role for Islam in their countries' political life, according to a new poll from the Pew Research Center, but have mixed feelings toward militant religious groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah.
According to the survey, majorities in Pakistan, Egypt, Jordan and Nigeria would favor changing current laws to allow
- stoning as a punishment for adultery,
- hand amputation for theft and
- death for those who convert from Islam to another religion.
- segregating men and women in the workplace.
- Turkish Muslims were the most conflicted, with just more than half reporting positive views of Islam's influence in politics. Turkey has struggled in recent years to balance a secular political system with an increasingly fervent Muslim population....
- Al Qaeda was rejected by strong majorities in every Muslim country except Nigeria,
- which gave the group a 49% approval rating.
photo of caning of Indonesian woman via Weasel Zippers