11/12/10, "Former corrections officer is awarded $25,000 in suit over Muslim garb," AP via NJ.com
"A former corrections officer in New Jersey has reached a settlement in a federal lawsuit over her right to wear a Muslim head scarf at work.
- Yvette Beshier claimed she was denied a religious accommodation to wear the scarf, then was fired.
The Justice Department last year sued Essex County for violating civil rights laws. Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on race, color, sex, national origin or religion.
- In a settlement announced today, Beshier will receive $25,000. Essex County also has adopted a religious accommodation policy and
- What about protection for American voters against being menaced at a polling place with a deadly weapon? Obama repeatedly refused to even consider the case. But he used our money to sue to protect a political garment, the burka or hijab.
- Testimony about Obama's failure to prosecute the New black Panther menacing case from longtime democrat appointee who now fears for his person safety. From Politico on Coates' background:
- "Coates’s charges may carry greater weight because he worked decades ago as an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, has won
awards from civil rights groups and
- lacks the partisan GOP resume of the department’s harshest opponents. "...and
- “appears here at great personal risk to himself. I’d like to thank Mr. Coates for his courage in appearing today.”"...
- "Coates, former head of the voting section that brought the case, testified in defiance of his supervisor's instructions and
- has been granted whistleblower protection."...
- 6/8/09, Using scarce taxpayer money, Obama administration sues Essex County, NJ to force them to accept all Muslim hijabs, burkas, and headscarves. Star-Ledger, "US Justice Department: NJ woman fired for wearing Muslim headscarf"
- "That is why the U.S. government has gone to court to protect the right of women and girls to wear the hijab, and
- to punish those who would deny it."...
- non-Muslims in the voting booth.
via Atlas Shrugs