- A step toward goal of global mandate-NRDC.
"In the U.S., where Republicans are taking control of the House of Representatives, President Barack Obama has abandoned legislation that would cap emissions through a carbon market. Republicans consider it a tax on business.
- Instead, the Obama administration intends to bypass Congress and
- regulate greenhouse gases
- directly through federal agencies.
Schwarzenegger said the failures at the federal and international levels should not discourage local governments from adopting their own policies on climate change....
The governor went on to say a "green revolution" is happening at the local level in places like Africa, Australia, China, Norway and the U.S.
While local and regional collaboration is applauded by scientists and environmental advocates, it's
- uncertain whether such a piecemeal approach can address the rise of greenhouse gases and temperatures being felt around the world.
"You can't solve this challenge with just 20 provinces or states taking action. We need 20, 50 countries taking action," said Jake Schmidt, international climate policy director at the Natural Resources Defense Council.
- "Ultimately we need an international agreement that moves all countries forward.""...