Obama forgets slavery didn't disappear because of a snappy trial lawyer or an EPA ruling..
Obama's flip remarks casually ignore that 3 million fought and over 600,000 died to end slavery in the US over 140 years ago. Such forgetfulness gets him high marks at the UN. He was raised by white people in Hawaii and went to an elite private school, so doesn't even have a contemporary black American's life experience. Or for that matter, the contemporary experience of middle class America.
14 year old dead child in a Confederate trench in the Civil War.
Above 1864, dead Confederate soldiers at Spotsylvania
"The human cost of the war far exceeded what anyone had imagined in 1861. The North placed roughly 2.2 million men in uniform (180,000 of them blacks), of whom about
- 640,000 were killed, wounded in battle, or died of disease.
- Of the 360,000 Northern soldiers who died, two-thirds perished from illnesses such as dysentery, diarrhea, measles, malaria, and typhoid.
- 450,000 out of approximately 750,000 to 850,000 Confederate soldiers.
- estimated that more than 250,000 died.
- Total deaths thus exceeded 600,000,
- dead and wounded combined totaled about 1.1 million.
Human suffering also extended beyond the military sphere and continued long after fighting ceased. During the conflict, thousands of black and white Southerners became refugees, losing many of their possessions and facing an uncertain future in strange surroundings....After the war, many thousands of
- veterans struggled to cope with
- lost limbs and other wounds.
- In neither instance, however, were the funds sufficient to provide for all the needs of a family....
Railroads and industries in the South were in shambles, more than one-half of all farm machinery was destroyed, and 40 percent of all livestock had been killed."...
"Confederate men died at a rate three times that of their Yankee counterparts;
- one in five white southern men of military age did not survive the Civil War."...
- Democrat Senator James Webb says the South has never recovered from the economic devastation of that war, 7/22/10.
Above, Confederates lying dead near Antietam
Andersonville Cemetary, Georgia. Buried here are many Union prisoners who died in captivity. It is unlikely any of them ever had slaves. They left wives without husbands, children without fathers. Such sacrifice is not for Obama.