10/14, "Obama: 'Tribal attitude' surfaces in tough times," CBS News, B. Montopoli
"Asked about what the questioner saw as an increase in racial tension Thursday, President Obama said a
- "tribal attitude" can come as a result of economic hardship.
"Historically, when you look at how America has evolved, typically we make progress on race relations in fits and starts," he said at a town hall event with young Americans.
- He then suggested that the recession has played a part in driving racial antagonism while he has been in office.
"Often times misunderstandings and antagonisms surface most strongly when times are tough. "...
- He added that anxiety over not being able to pay bills - or having lost a job or a home - sometimes
- "organizes itself around kind of a tribal attitude, and
- issues of race become more prominent.""...