9/11/10, "Muslim Scholar: Don't build Islamic Center," CBS News"
"A respected Muslim scholar has a message for those planning to build an Islamic center near Ground Zero in New York: It's a bad idea, and a window on sharply differing thinking among Muslims worldwide on how to best go about promoting Islam - and peace.
- Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, president of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy, in Phoenix, a former Muslim U.S. Navy Commander, wrote an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal Friday sharply critical of the planned Islamic center,
- urging organizer Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf and Muslims all over the world to show compassion
- Jasser says the Islamic Center as conceived is more about making a political statement
- that will seriously divide communities than about bringing them together.
- He continues, "American freedom of religion is a right, but … it is not right to make one's religion a global political statement with a towering Islamic edifice that casts a shadow over the memorials of Ground Zero. …
- In their own more subtle ways, the WTC mosque organizers end up serving the same aims (as)
- separatist and supremacist wings
- of political Islam."...
- it's time for Muslims to look less about promoting ourselves, (have)
- less of a victimology
- what we have to do to repair the house of Islam."
- to separate spiritual Islam of the faith we love from
- This isn't a fight between Islam and Christianity or Islam and the West.
- not just focus on victimology." "...
- "He may not appear to the untrained eye to be an Islamist,
- but by making Ground Zero an Islamic rather than an American issue