- 8/18/10, "The Fishy Politics of Fisheries," American Thinker by Mike Johnson
- There is no need to further reduce the pressure on fish stocks. Obama's handpicked ecozealot, Dr. Jane Lubchenco, administrator of NOAA and former bigwig
- at the Environmental Defense Fund, has personally driven fisherman allocations drastically below those levels that
- even her own scientists say are sufficient to sustain and allow growth of the stocks.
Kerry would remove permits as he removes fishermen, driving the industry to extinction."...
- NOAA has been corrupt for many years, but Obama's pick is blocking inspectors from seeing that the crimes are stopped and from punishing the perpetrators. Some called for Lubchenco to step down but Obama defended her. Tens of millions in fines against fishermen were used by NOAA personnel to finance extravagant lifestyles.
- 6/28/10, "Getting help from the press," Gloucester Times, Nancy Gaines, Lubchenco founded a group to train global warming scientists to use media to shape government policy.
- (Following recent investigation of NOAA, the US Inspector General was met by a lack of cooperation from NOAA counsel Lois Schiffer, a Lubchenco hire).
- "Congressional reaction to the (US Inspector General's) IG's report has been angry and varied.
Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said the evidence points to the existence of a multi-million dollar "slush fund" that helped dispossess fishermen struggling with excessive regulations. Schumer called on NOAA to "hold people responsible,
- sell off the cars and boats and other unauthorized purchases and fund fishermen who were unjustly or excessively fined and whose fishing seasons have been shortened."
"The IG's report discredits the whole rotten operation," Congressman (Barney) Frank said in a telephone interview Tuesday."...